RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, Gov. Roy Cooper says he, along with other state officials, are working on the best possible scenarios for all North Carolinians, but a shelter in place order is not being considered.
“As a state, we have to be prepared for every scenario. Right now, we are not issuing a shelter in place order or an additional closure of businesses. This is an evolving situation, and any changes will be based on what’s happening in North Carolina and what is best for public health,” Cooper said in a statement.
As of CBS 17’s last count, North Carolina is reporting at least 144 cases of COVID-19.
On Friday, Dr. Betsy Tilson with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services said there are four patients with COVID-19 who are hospitalized.
More than 3,200 tests have been completed and there are no positive tests in North Carolina nursing.
CBS 17 had previously reported 35 cases in Durham County and 25 in Wake County, based on both state and county health department numbers. The official state numbers on Friday show 33 cases in Durham, the most in the state, and 23 in Wake County.
Johnston County health officials said Friday evening that it had a third person test positive.
Mecklenburg County is ranked second in the state with 28 positive coronavirus test results.
During a press conference on Thursday, Gov. Roy Cooper announced the first case of community spread was identified in Wilson County. The county is reporting two cases.
Cooper said the expected community spread cases are why the state took early aggressive action to curb the spread of the virus.
“We will get through this,” the governor said.
Because there’s now confirmation of community spread, Cooper said this will likely impact the reopening of schools across the state.
“We are likely to be out of school for a longer period of time,” he said.
There is additional concern of community spread after Wake County health officials announced on Thursday that a person who tested positive for coronavirus attended The Millenium Tour 2020 at PNC Arena on March 13. A news release said the person was symptomatic at the concert, so the Wake County Public Health Division set up a special informational phone line for people who attended the show or worked at the arena that evening and have developed symptoms.
Health officials are also using contact tracing to determine other locations that may be at risk, the release said.
According to NCDHHS, 3,233 COVID-19 tests have been completed in the state. No deaths have been reported at this time.
- 1 killed in head-on crash in Durham, police say
- Woman found dead after dumpster fire, Va. police say
- Wakefield community shows support for couple who received racially charged letter
- NC police swarmed by ‘hostile crowd’ of about 50 after drug bust, officials say
- NC hospital system sends workers flier on race: ’16 bridge-building tips for white people’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now