RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – An inmate died in what North Carolina Public Safety officials said was an apparent suicide at a prison in Goldsboro on Wednesday.
Joshua A. Biby was found unresponsive in his cell at Neuse Correctional Institution around 6:10 a.m.
Despite life-saving measures being taken by local EMS and prison medical staff, Biby died at the prison at 6:37 a.m., the North Carolina Department of Public Safety said.
Law enforcement is investigating.
The Department of Public Safety said it is cooperating fully in the investigation.
Biby was seven years into a 15-year, 10-month sentence after being convicted of being a habitual felon.
He was eligible for parole in December 2024.
Neuse Correctional Institute is a 788-bed medium-security prison in Goldsboro.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Report: Washington Redskins to remove Native American imagery
- Tulsa health official says Trump rally ‘likely contributed’ to spike in coronavirus cases
- Ivy League calls off fall sports due to outbreak
- Man in stolen SUV arrested after crashing into woman in stolen car, police say
- Supply shortages slow down COVID-19 testing in North Carolina
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now