HOOKERTON, N.C. (WNCN) – An inmate died after being attacked by another offender during an altercation at a prison in Greene County, according to a news release.
Charles Rogers, 75, was stabbed with a homemade weapon around 4:37 p.m. on Thursday at the Maury Correctional Institution. Facility medical personnel performed life-saving procedures on the scene. Rogers was pronounced dead at 4:36 p.m., the release said.
Law enforcement is investigating the incident.
No further information was released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Pair nabbed with 6.5 kilos of cocaine in arrest along I-95 in Nash County, deputies say
- Trump says he’s extending offshore drilling ban off North Carolina coast
- NC agencies work with FBI to arrest trio on firearms, drug-related charges
- Patterson steps up, leads No. 20 Hokies past NC State 45-24
- Thousands march in Washington to pray and show support for Trump