RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A panel of North Carolina judges say the U.S. House district map that Republican state legislators drew last month will be used in elections next year.
The three judges decided Monday there wasn’t enough time in the election cycle to consider detailed redistricting arguments from the lawmakers and from voters who challenged the latest congressional maps.
The North Carolina primary is March 3, and candidate filing opened Monday. The judges had suspended congressional filings while they reviewed the case, but Judge Paul Ridgeway said from the bench the State Board of Elections can now start receiving filings from U.S. House hopefuls.
The judges blocked the use of the 13 district boundaries approved in 2016 because they were likely unlawful partisan gerrymanders, so the General Assembly created a new map.
- Truck found, suspects still on run after ramming truck through Fort Bragg security gate
- Hometown heroes honored by Gov. Cooper
- Nashville police, dive team find no evidence after search relating to deadly home invasion
- Panthers QB Newton resting after surgery on injured foot
- Disney security guard shows up ‘buck naked’ to human trafficking sting, 124 arrested, sheriff says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now