ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WSPA) – Asheville Police Department officers arrested a man on rape and kidnapping charges stemming from a sexual assault case that happened in 1992.
According to a news release, detectives charged Jesse Virgil Patton, 60, of Asheville, with first-degree forcible rape and first-degree kidnapping.
A survivor of the sexual assault initially reported the crime to police on Dec. 15, 1992.
Patton was taken to the Buncombe County Detention Center, where he was being held on a $500,000 bond.
“Detectives with the Special Victims Unit of the Asheville Police Department (APD) have been committed to thoroughly evaluating all sexual assault evidence kits in the possession of our agency and sent for testing since we began the project in 2017. This team of detectives will continue to pursue all leads related to this initiative,” according to the release.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 12-year-old boy dies after complaining of head pain; family says he was bullied in school
- Mom shot in NYC Times Square: ‘I just dropped to the ground and was asking for help’
- Mom who lost son to Durham gun violence calls for change this Mother’s Day
- All Durham 911 calls routed to Raleigh Saturday night due to staff shortage at call center
- Balcony collapse sends nearly 12 people onto rocks below at Malibu home