KITTY HAWK, N.C. (WNCN) – A person was struck by lightning while swimming at the Outer Banks, according to a Facebook post by Kitty Hawk police.
First responders were dispatched to the 3800 block of North Virginia Dare Trail in Kitty Hawk at about 2:50 p.m. Friday. The 23-year-old man was hit by lightning while swimming in the ocean with friends, the post said.
The man was transported to the hospital in unknown condition.
“Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time of uncertainty,” police wrote.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- September 16: Hot Again Today, Relief On The Way
- NCGA on track to OK new electoral maps this week; public hearing set for Monday
- Grandma uses hair dryer to catch neighborhood speeders
- Monday Fur-cast | September 16
- Hurricane Humberto moving away from U.S. coast
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now