CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – A kidnapping attempt involving a 10-year-old child is under investigation in east Charlotte near the Oakhurst neighborhood.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say someone attempted to take a 10-year-old boy by grabbing his hand and walking away. The incident happened around 11:30 a.m. at an outside area along North Sharon Amity Road at Monroe Road.
The 10-year-old is a fourth-grader at Rama Road Elementary School.
He tells WBTV he was getting off the school bus when a man on his phone grabbed his wrist. He pinched and shook his arm to get away.
“Why did he want to get me if I didn’t do anything?” he said.
His 7-year-old sister was further down the road and she says the man tried to get her also
“The man said come with him and I said no! I was scared when that happened,” she said.
They ran home and told their mom who called 911.
“Officers city-wide have been made aware of the incident and the division has increased patrols in and around the aforementioned location,” police say.
The boy was not hurt and didn’t know the person who attempted to kidnap him, according to a police report.
Anyone with additional information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.
Copyright 2020 WBTV. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Indiana man admits to pushing toddler down stairs after argument over food, court docs show
- 1 million air passengers reported in a day marks new flying milestone during pandemic
- Counties reaching out to about 10,000 NC voters who need to fix absentee ballot issues
- Wake County fire tanker truck crashes while responding to house fire
- 20-year-old ‘dead’ woman found alive at funeral home later dies at Detroit hospital, family says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now