WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) – A woman who police say abandoned her newborn baby inside a trash can in Wilmington last week made her first appearance in court Monday.
Maryuri Estefany Calix-Macedo, 21, has been charged with attempted first-degree murder.
A woman walking her dog along Fairview Drive Thursday afternoon heard the baby’s cries coming from the trash can and rescued the child before calling 911.
The baby boy was inside a black trash bag that was tied.
After she was taken into custody, Calix-Macedo was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center for an assessment and later booked in jail under an $800,000 bond.
Calix-Macedo made a brief court appearance Monday afternoon through video. Through a translator, she asked for a court-appointed attorney. Her next court date will be Aug. 6.
Police said the baby is healthy and doing well.
This case is still under investigation. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Detective H.M. Wooddell directly at (910)-341-0166.
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NewsNation, WGN America coming to YouTube TV in January 2021
- Fayetteville road rage incident leads to assault, police say
- Fayetteville man purchases $20 Loaded ticket, wins last $100,000 prize
- Baby gibbon at KC Zoo startles live TV crew as mom rappels from above
- Sun Bowl becomes 4th ACC tie-in bowl to cancel over COVID-19 pandemic