OCRACOKE, N.C. (WNCN) — N.C. Highway 12 on Ocracoke Island will reopen to all traffic on Thursday, three months after Hurricane Dorian severely damaged the island and its main road.
The storm came ashore on Sept. 6, destroying the protective dune line between the highway and the ocean and breaking and buckling about 1,000 feet of pavement on N.C. 12.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation awarded a $1.77 million emergency contract to RPC Contractors of Kitty Hawk in late September.
Since then, contractors have been installing sandbags, reconstructing the dune line and completely rebuilding and repaving the roadway.
The N.C. Ferry Division’s Dredge Manteo pumped sand from the old Hatteras ferry channel to supply sand for the reconstruction, officials said in a release.
A powerful storm impacted the area in mid-November, causing additional damage and delaying the road’s original Nov. 22 reopening date.
“We couldn’t be more pleased that we’re able to reopen this vital lifeline,” said NCDOT Division One Engineer Jerry Jennings. “We know how important N.C. 12 is to Ocracoke, and we hope this will help speed the island’s recovery process from Hurricane Dorian.”
Ocracoke Island is now open to all visitors, and the N.C. Ferry Division will begin full-service Thursday between Hatteras and Ocracoke’s South Dock terminal on its winter schedule:
- From Hatteras: 5 a.m., 6 a.m., 8 a.m., 9 a.m., 11 a.m., noon, 2 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 9 p.m., 10 p.m., midnight.
- From Ocracoke: 4:30 a.m., 6:30 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:15 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 10:30 p.m., midnight.
Emergency ferry service between Hatteras and Ocracoke’s Silver Lake Terminal will be discontinued Thursday.
Drivers are advised that work to complete the dune line will be ongoing for the next several months, so they should drive with caution to avoid crews and machinery that may be operating on or near the highway.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 key moments from the final showdown
- FACT CHECK: Examining claims from last Trump-Biden debate
- Trump, Biden go after each other on coronavirus, taxes
- Triangle mega-church opts to hold off in-person services until vaccine developed, metrics decline
- Michael Jordan helps open 2nd medical clinic in North Carolina
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now