SURF CITY, N.C. (WECT) – Multiple crews are on scene after a large fire broke out late Sunday afternoon on Atkinson Road near South Shore Drive in Surf City.
Surf City Fire Chief Allen Wilson confirms crews from Topsail Fire, North Topsail Fire and Pender County were all working the scene.
Images showed at least two homes were burned in the massive fire.
A tweet from Surf City police around 6:40 p.m. advised people to stay away from the area while emergency responders work.
Officials have not released how many structures are involved or if anyone has been injured.
Photos sent in by WECT viewers show multiple buildings engulfed in flames. Dramatic video shows flames curling over the roof of a three-story house and plumes of black smoke coming from the structures as the fire burns.
- Wilson man dies after being shot in 911 caller’s front yard, police say
- Work-at-home offers are the most-common scam while many in NC are unemployed, BBB says
- Raleigh police investigating hazmat situation at nursing home
- At least 1 pulled from surf at NC coast amid rip current risk
- PHOTOS: Man walking dog along beach finds house washed away in OBX
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now