ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Authorities in North Carolina arrested a convicted sex offender after he showed up at the Mountain State Fair.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports police arrested 38-year-old James Allen Rice Jr. Saturday for being on the premises of the state fair, where many children were present.
Laws prohibit registered sex offenders from locations frequented by children.
Rice’s criminal record shows he was convicted of taking indecent liberties with a minor in 2001, when he was 20 and the child was under 15, and convicted thereafter of violating his probation by failing to register as a sex offender.
He also was labeled a habitual felon. His record shows he was convicted as a teenager of assault, breaking and entering, and theft.
Rice was released from jail pending a hearing.
- Blitz High School Football Scoreboard | Playoff semifinals
- Leesville Road ends Wake Forest’s 3 years of domination, advances to 1st state championship game
- Cardinal Gibbons downs Scotland, earns spot in state championship game
- Slain UPS driver’s family questions police response to chase after truck hijacked
- Actor Ron Leibman dead at 82; starred in ‘Norma Rae’ with Sally Field
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now