ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Authorities in North Carolina arrested a convicted sex offender after he showed up at the Mountain State Fair.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports police arrested 38-year-old James Allen Rice Jr. Saturday for being on the premises of the state fair, where many children were present.
Laws prohibit registered sex offenders from locations frequented by children.
Rice’s criminal record shows he was convicted of taking indecent liberties with a minor in 2001, when he was 20 and the child was under 15, and convicted thereafter of violating his probation by failing to register as a sex offender.
He also was labeled a habitual felon. His record shows he was convicted as a teenager of assault, breaking and entering, and theft.
Rice was released from jail pending a hearing.
- New lab opening in RTP with focus on protecting firefighters from cancer-causing agents
- ‘I’m looking out for my family’: Mother chases shooting suspect through NC city
- New collar translates your dog’s barks into cuss words
- Virginia woman hit by a truck on her own front porch
- ‘Leaning Tower of Dallas’ becomes tourist attraction after failed implosion
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now