ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Authorities in North Carolina arrested a convicted sex offender after he showed up at the Mountain State Fair.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports police arrested 38-year-old James Allen Rice Jr. Saturday for being on the premises of the state fair, where many children were present.
Laws prohibit registered sex offenders from locations frequented by children.
Rice’s criminal record shows he was convicted of taking indecent liberties with a minor in 2001, when he was 20 and the child was under 15, and convicted thereafter of violating his probation by failing to register as a sex offender.
He also was labeled a habitual felon. His record shows he was convicted as a teenager of assault, breaking and entering, and theft.
Rice was released from jail pending a hearing.
- Vehicle crash closes all northbound lanes of US 1 near I-540
- 2 men dead, suspect arrested; trio played high school football together, Texas sheriff says
- MANHUNT: Former Travis County detective identified as suspect deadly in NW Austin shooting incident
- Knightdale, Durham, Zebulon Walmart stores reopened after bomb threats prompted evacuations
- Working remotely? It’s time to rethink what is ‘home’ and what is ‘travel’