NEW HANOVER COUNTY, N.C. (WECT) – The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office arrested five people and seized large quantities of drugs following a two-month investigation by narcotics officers.
On Nov. 15, detectives with the Vice and Narcotics Unit conducted a traffic stop in the Porters Neck area on a suspect vehicle. Officials say Shyreek Thatch, 20, and Mikal Huff, 18, took off on foot but were eventually arrested in the 8200 block of Red Cockaded Court.
Detectives seized seven grams of heroin and a pistol during a subsequent search of the vehicle.
Following their arrests, detectives executed search warrants at an apartment in the 5300 block of Park Avenue where 563 grams of heroin, 66 grams of methamphetamine, 40 grams of MDMA (ecstasy), 62 strips of suboxone, and 844 grams of marijuana were seized. Two pistols were also confiscated.
Justen Bailey-Cole, 24, Ashton Nault, 20, and Roderick Cameron, 19, were taken into custody at the apartment.
All five suspects are facing numerous drug-related offenses including trafficking heroin, trafficking meth, and trafficking MDMA. Huff was additionally charged with possession of a firearm by a felon.
Thatch, Huff, Bailey-Cole, and Cameron were all given at least $1 million bonds. Nault received a $500,000 bond.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Pastor of Charlotte’s largest Catholic church on leave following child sex abuse allegations
- 165-year-old Wilmington bed and breakfast nearly restored following Florence damage
- Raleigh man charged with murder following stabbings that left 1 dead, 3 injured at nightclub
- Tuesday Fur-cast | December 10
- ‘You took my best friend away’: Dad of 3 among those killed in violent weekend in Raleigh
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now