LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. (WBTV) – A high school basketball coach in Lincoln County was arrested Tuesday after deputies say he assaulted a fan after a game.
Chadwick Rock Wright, 48, is charged with one misdemeanor count each of assault on a female, simple assault and battery and disorderly conduct.
Wright is the basketball coach at West Lincoln High School. According to the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, the incident happened around 8:30 p.m. after the game between West Lincoln and Newton-Conover.
A deputy working security at the game said he heard a fan yell at Wright as he was leaving the floor following the game. The deputy said that one person in a small group then raised his hand, identifying himself as the one who made the remark.
That’s when the deputy says Wright ran into the stands and struck the man in the head and the two “began wrestling around in the stands.”
“A female then began taunting the coach and was pulled into the affray,” the release states.
Deputies were able to get Coach Wright in custody and he was taken to the Magistrate’s Office where he was charged and released on a $1,500 bond.
No further information has been released.
Copyright 2020 WBTV. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham Public Schools opts to continue remote learning through end of semester
- Louisville officer shooting suspect will face charges of assault, wanton endangerment
- Durham police car involved in crash while trying to stop armed robbery suspect
- Florida woman spent murder GoFundMe donations on shopping, bills, deputies say
- Senator proposes bill requiring states count and report federal election ballots within 24 hours
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now