CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WJZY) – A robbery suspect and Charlotte-Mecklenburg police exchanged gunfire during a dangerous incident overnight Sunday in southwest Charlotte, authorities said.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police responded to calls regarding an assault around 3:30 a.m. Sunday near Steele Creek Road at a convenience store.
CMPD officers encountered a robbery suspect and the suspect fired shots at the officers and one officer returned fire, the police report indicated.
FOX 46 confirmed that no officers were injured during the incident.
The suspect fled the scene in a vehicle and a chase ensued, ending near 2100 S. Tryon St. when the suspect crashed into a utility pole.
The suspect, who suffered a gunshot wound during the officer-involved shooting, was taken into custody and was transported to the hospital where he is being treated for injuries.
This remains an active investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC frontline worker and mom of 2 loses home in fire
- NCDHHS apologizes after county health departments, hospitals receive fewer vaccine doses than expected
- Southwest last airline to ban emotional-support animals on flights
- Duke University identifies COVID-19 cluster at apartment complex
- Johnston County man talks about success after antibody treatment for COVID-19 at WakeMed