CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. (WJZY) – A Cabarrus County school board member is under fire after she was accused of making a derogatory comment during a board meeting Monday night.
Community members and organizations say board member Laura Blackwell was heard saying “this is the most retarded thing I’ve ever seen,” in reference to the meeting while on the Zoom call.
The Young Democrats of Cabarrus County came out Monday night saying they condemn the comments reportedly made by Blackwell.
“We teach our friends, colleagues, and children not to say that word because of the hurt it causes people with intellectual disabilities. Laura Blackwell should remove that word from her vocabulary and remove herself from the school board.”
Several Cabarrus County parents and neighbors contacted FOX 46 Monday night, with many on social media calling for her resignation. Blackwell is one of seven Board of Education members.
The comments in question are made about two hours and 15 minutes into the meeting.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 7-year-old Jeopardy! superfan gets sweet message from Alex Trebek after dressing up as ‘mini-Trebek’ for Halloween
- At least 1 dead as Hurricane Zeta hammers Gulf Coast
- U.S. Marshals searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ man in NC
- President Trump targeting rural voters in recent NC campaign stops
- ALERT DAY: Zeta remnants bring severe weather, wind to NC Thursday
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now