TOPSAIL BEACH, N.C. (WECT) – A 29-year-old father drowned off Topsail Beach Friday afternoon while attempting to rescue his son and wife who were swept away in a rip current.
Topsail Beach Police Chief Samuel Gervase says crews were called shortly after 3 p.m. Friday to the beach strand near the Sea Vista Motel.
A bystander, who asked to remain anonymous, pulled all three people from the water.
Chief Gervase says witnesses reported the son was swept up first, followed by his mother who went into the water to help him.
Christopher Roberson, 29, of Morganton went in to try and rescue them and began to struggle himself.
The bystander pulled the child out first, went back in for the woman and pulled Roberson from the water last.
CPR was performed, but he could not be revived and was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Gervase says rip current warning flags were flying Friday.
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham County Public Schools holds virtual town hall, Cumberland schools approve plan
- NC officials say protests did not lead to spike in COVID-19 cases
- Doctors note new COVID-19 symptoms in young adults
- Pentagon officials: Investigation into removal of protesters near White House almost done
- Families alarmed by gunshots near youth baseball game in Goldsboro
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now