TOPSAIL BEACH, N.C. (WECT) – A 29-year-old father drowned off Topsail Beach Friday afternoon while attempting to rescue his son and wife who were swept away in a rip current.
Topsail Beach Police Chief Samuel Gervase says crews were called shortly after 3 p.m. Friday to the beach strand near the Sea Vista Motel.
A bystander, who asked to remain anonymous, pulled all three people from the water.
Chief Gervase says witnesses reported the son was swept up first, followed by his mother who went into the water to help him.
Christopher Roberson, 29, of Morganton went in to try and rescue them and began to struggle himself.
The bystander pulled the child out first, went back in for the woman and pulled Roberson from the water last.
CPR was performed, but he could not be revived and was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Gervase says rip current warning flags were flying Friday.
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- No injuries after small plane crashes at Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport
- Revisiting Prince Charles’ 1996 trip to The Biltmore
- NC woman describes attack by possible coyote; photos show some of 13 puncture wounds
- Now approved to administer COVID-19 vaccine, NC dentists eager to help fight pandemic
- It’s a girl, Harry and expecting mom Meghan tell Oprah about 2nd child