NC family says animal shelter mistakenly euthanized its dog

North Carolina news

LEXINGTON, N.C. (AP) — Members of a family say they are hurt after a North Carolina animal shelter mistakenly euthanized their dog in a paperwork mix-up.

The Winston-Salem Journal reports the dog was a 16-month-old Australian cattle dog named Blaze. The dog’s owner, Joey Varker, posted on social media that Blaze had been sent to the shelter to be quarantined after biting a child in the family. Varker said his wife went to pick Blaze up but was shown a different dog.

Assistant County Manager Casey Smith says the error was due to a mistake in the intake paperwork. Smith says 10 dogs entered the shelter Saturday for bites, and Blaze was mistaken for a different dog to be put down.

Smith says this was the first time the shelter has made this error.

For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.

Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Local News
More National News
More Weather
More Sports
More Check This Out

Don't Miss