BRUNSWICK, NC (WBTW) – A fire department assistant chief in North Carolina has been arrested on 64 counts of financial fraud-related offenses.
Brunswick Fire Department Assistant Chief and Treasurer David Heath Porter, 31, of Whiteville, was arrested on Monday by investigators with the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office, according to a release from the CCSO. Porter is charged with 32 counts of embezzlement and 32 counts of obtaining property by false pretense.
On August 8, deputies with the CCSO “prepared an initial report for missing funds reported by the Board of Directors of the Brunswick Fire Department,” the release said. “The CCSO Criminal Investigations Division investigated the reported allegations and obtained additional information leading to numerous criminal charges against Porter.”
Porter was given a $235,000 bond. He has posted bond and an first court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday.
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now
- NC parent ‘extremely lucky’ after pole skewers car – minutes after school drop-off
- Jane Fonda arrested again in climate change protest
- 2-year-old with cerebral palsy has clever Halloween costume that celebrates his disability
- Woman found guilty after fatally striking 3 siblings at school bus stop
- Mahomes injury could open doors for Kaepernick with Chiefs