KITTY HAWK, N.C. (WAVY) A Greenville man drowned Friday after going for a swim around 3 a.m. in the ocean off Kitty Hawk.
Kitty Hawk police say they responded around 3:15 a.m. to the 5300 block of North Virginia Dare Trail for the drowning.
They learned the victim, 26-year-old Zacheus D. Sutton, had been swimming in the ocean with a friend when the two got caught in a rip current and were pulled out to sea.
The friend was able to make it back to shore safely and call for help.
Rescue crews searched the area extensively, police say, with Dominetae’s body discovered several hours later near where he last seen.
A moderate rip current risk is still in effect for most of the Outer Banks through Friday night.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NCDOT stopping construction on most road projects for Thanksgiving holiday
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Domino’s restaurants and Scenthound are hiring
- Former NFL star Marshawn Lynch hands out 200 Thanksgiving turkeys in Hawaii
- ‘A hero’: Charlotte man rescues little girl wandering alone in early morning
- 2-week shutdown possible in Virginia to stunt COVID-19 spread after Thanksgiving