HIGH POINT, N.C. (WGHP) — A High Point man suffered serious injuries to his head after he was hit by a vehicle late Sunday afternoon while he tried to help his neighbor.
The accident happened around 4:30 p.m. Sunday on East Green Drive near the intersection of University Parkway.
Laurence King lives and helps manage a boarding house close to the intersection. According to his neighbors, on Sunday afternoon he was helping one of the women who stays at the house back up.
At one point, King stepped off the curb and into the street where he was immediately hit by a driver.
King was then thrown around 15 feet and suffered serious injuries to his head and his leg.
Neighbor John McKinney was inside when he heard the gut-wrenching sound.
“I just heard boom,” he said. “I knew somebody was hurt. I knew somebody done hit something.”
Cellphone video captured the minutes that followed, which included McKinney running to the scene to help King.
The three-minute graphic footage showed that McKinney gave King the shirt off his back to act as a pillow and told him to relax and remain down until help arrived.
The video also showed a High Point police officer working with McKinney to help tend to King’s wounds.
Fire crews arrived on scene a minute after the start of the video.
At one point, an unidentified woman can be heard telling firefighters that King had tried to help her back out of her driveway.
King was taken to the hospital where he remains as of Monday afternoon.
The driver of the vehicle involved remained on scene and has not been charged.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- COVID-19 vaccination cards will be issued, health officials say
- NC State men’s basketball to play 11 games at PNC Arena this season
- Emails show health department will stop Youngsville Christmas Parade unless plans are altered
- Shopping local and taking down the boards in downtown Raleigh: A look at December’s Raleigh Magazine
- PHOTOS: Chinese moon probe begins return to Earth with lunar samples