GASTONIA, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina man has been charged with stealing an ambulance from a hospital parking bay and leading police on a high-speed chase.
News outlets report that the ambulance belonging to the Dallas Rescue Squad was taken from CaroMont Regional Medical Center Friday night.
Police charged 29-year-old Joshua Kyle Poindexter of Kings Mountain with larceny of a motor vehicle, fleeing to elude arrest, failing to heed a siren and reckless driving.
Authorities say GPS software allowed police to track the stolen ambulance. They said Poindexter led police on a chase that exceeded the speed limit by 15 mph before he was arrested in Cherryville, almost 20 miles away.
No one was injured.
- Top tweets from the #NCSenateDebate
- Romney, GOP reunite on plan to fill Ginsburg seat
- Raleigh man talks about saving 3-year-old from drowning in Myrtle Beach
- Tillis, Cunningham square off in second US Senate debate; address vacant Supreme Court seat, COVID-19 relief, marijuana legalization
- Woman dies after she’s ejected in 2-car crash in Fayetteville
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now