BUNCOMBE COUNTY, N.C. (WSPA) – A Candler man won $5 million after visiting more than 40 stores in western North Carolina.
“I had a real good feeling it was going to be in the western part of the state,” said Clark. “I went to about 40 different stores and bought every single last Mega Cash ticket I could find. There was only a handful of stores that even had them.”
Clark found the winning $20 Mega Cash ticket at the Stop N Go on U.S. 70 in Swannanoa, according to the North Carolina Education Lottery’s press release.
“I scanned it with my phone and it told me to go see a retailer,” he recalled. “So, I scratched it off and when I scratched it off I couldn’t believe it! I started shaking. And then I cried.”
Clark said he decided he was not going to go to work Monday and drove to the lottery headquarters in Raleigh to claim his prize, according to the news release.
After it was all said and done, Clark took home $2,122,506.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Trump’s tax revelation could tarnish image that fueled rise
- Raleigh police chief says ‘more arrests coming’ after downtown protests lead to damage, vandalism
- Kamala Harris to talk about Supreme Court vacancy in Raleigh visit, hold roundtable event Monday
- Large procession, funeral planned for Clayton firefighter who died from COVID-19
- NC police crack down on speeders after new stretch of I-840 loop opens
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now