CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – A 13-year-old student was arrested for making a threat of a school shooting at Coulwood Middle School, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say.
“The threat originated on Instagram, and contained a photograph of a firearm with a caption that indicated that a shooting would take place on Thursday (today),” CMPD says.
Officers tracked down the student they say posted the threat and went to their home. The 13-year-old admitted that he posted the threat as a “joke,” police say.
No guns were found inside the teen’s home and officers believe the student found the picture of the firearm online.
Copyright 2019 WBTV. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- VIDEO: House crumbles, plunges off hill during landslide
- Man meets up with dating app matches, then robs them, Va. police warn
- Former North Carolina Lt. Gov. Bob Jordan dies at 87
- Mom and teen daughter posed as photographers to steal baby, deputies say
- Boston College holds off NC State rally for 71-68 win
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now