TRYON, N.C. (WSPA) – A mother has been charged after deputies say her infant was abandoned in a plastic bag at a Polk County church parking lot.
On Friday at 12:17 p.m., a 6-month-old child was found discarded in a black bag in the parking lot of the Trinity Lutheran Church on U.S. Hwy 176 in Tryon, deputies say.
The infant is currently in emergency custody of the Department of Social Services and is under medical care.
Deputies say the child’s mother, Heather Lynn Walsh of Rutherfordton, has been charged with misdemeanor child abuse/ endangerment/ neglect.
Due to the nature of the injuries the child sustained, an initial warrant for child abuse. endangerment/ neglect was obtained by investigators Friday.
Walsh was given a $5,000 secure bond and was released Saturday.
The investigation is still ongoing.
If you have any information regarding the investigation, you’re asked to contact Detective Sergeant Pam Cannon through Polk County Communications Center at 828-894-0188.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 916 new COVID-19 cases reported in NC Sunday
- 12 arrested, 5 Raleigh officers injured in overnight unrest
- Cleanup underway after chaotic night leaves damage across downtown Raleigh
- 3 arrested as Charlotte police use ‘chemical riot control agents’ to disperse protesters
- Charlotte protester rescued by firefighters after falling through sidewalk grate
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now