UNION COUNTY, N.C. (WJZY) – A Marshville mother has been charged with attempted murder and felony child abuse after authorities discovered a newborn baby alive in a plastic bag Wednesday in Union County.
Casey Marie Thomas, 24, has been arrested after giving birth at home on Wednesday, deputies said.
Following the birth, detectives believe Thomas placed the infant in a plastic bag and concealed him outside under leaves. A concerned family member later transported Thomas to Atrium Union for treatment after noticing large amounts of blood loss.
Medical personnel observed evidence of a recent childbirth, despite denials of pregnancy by Thomas. Medical staff alerted Union County Sheriff’s deputies of the likelihood that Thomas had recently given birth.
Deputies and a Marshville Police Officer responded to a home in the 8600 block of East Highway 74 and located the infant after hearing a faint cry.
The child was rushed to the hospital in Monroe where he remains in good condition. He is now in DSS custody.
The investigation remains ongoing.
- Divers recover body of teen who drowned at Falls Lake
- Chatham County woman wanted mother in nursing home tested, told no
- Woman accused of licking $1,800 worth of items at California grocery store arrested on felony charge
- Nearly half of Moore County nursing home residents tests positive for COVID-19
- NC State signee, Cardinal Gibbons quarterback Andrew Harvey reflects on his first love: Golf
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now