UNION COUNTY, N.C. (WJZY) – A Marshville mother has been charged with attempted murder and felony child abuse after authorities discovered a newborn baby alive in a plastic bag Wednesday in Union County.
Casey Marie Thomas, 24, has been arrested after giving birth at home on Wednesday, deputies said.
Following the birth, detectives believe Thomas placed the infant in a plastic bag and concealed him outside under leaves. A concerned family member later transported Thomas to Atrium Union for treatment after noticing large amounts of blood loss.
Medical personnel observed evidence of a recent childbirth, despite denials of pregnancy by Thomas. Medical staff alerted Union County Sheriff’s deputies of the likelihood that Thomas had recently given birth.
Deputies and a Marshville Police Officer responded to a home in the 8600 block of East Highway 74 and located the infant after hearing a faint cry.
The child was rushed to the hospital in Monroe where he remains in good condition. He is now in DSS custody.
The investigation remains ongoing.
- Franklin County man to face murder charge after choking father to death, sheriff’s office says
- Body found in Virginia field positively ID’d as missing Raleigh man, police say
- Woman heartbroken after horse killed in hit-and-run in Durham County
- ‘Streetery’ event aims to promote downtown Durham businesses affected by pandemic
- College football trophy on the road again; was supposed to make appearance at UNC
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now