RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — The North Carolina National Guard has completed a 135-day support operation in response to COVID-19. More than five million meals to food banks and 15 million in personal protective equipment were distributed during the relief effort.
In total, soldiers delivered more than 6.5 million pounds of cargo over a stretch of more than 168,000 miles driven across the state. A total of 16,896 citizens were tested for COVID-19.
At the operation’s peak, 940 soldiers were on duty for the response.
Officials also investigated 165 phishing emails and alerts, while thwarting 25 malicious attacks.
- AMC Theatres reopening with 1920s prices, mix of throwback and modern movies
- Ohio man accused of flicking blood on family, threatening to inject them with mercury
- Virginia police: Man dies after his own gun discharges in struggle with troopers
- SC police department gives ‘Junior Officer’ badge to 8-year-old with serious heart condition
- ‘White Pride’ billboard in Arkansas gains attention again, thousands sign petition for removal
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now