CONCORD, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – One officer was killed and another was injured in a shooting in Concord, according to authorities. The suspect involved was also shot and killed by police.
Concord Police said the incident began as a car crash when officers found an abandoned vehicle that had crashed into a guardrail.
Shortly after, a woman reported that a man had tried to take her vehicle near the Sonic on Gateway Lane off of Bruton Smith Blvd.
CPD officers responded and found a man matching the witness’s description in the Sonic parking lot. When they approached, police said the man pulled a gun and shot at two officers, striking both. One was killed and the other suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
Two more CPD officers arrived on the scene as the suspect entered an SUV that did not belong to him. More gunfire was exchanged and police say the suspect was killed.
“We’re gonna get through this. We’re a family,” said Concord Chief of Police Gary Gacek. “There is no playbook for this. This is tough for everyone involved.”
Concord Police identified the officer killed as 25-year-old Jason Shuping. He had been with the department for one-and-a-half years.
Concord Mayor Bill Dusch ordered American and State flags in the city to be lowered to half-staff until sunset of the day of Shuping’s funeral.
Concord Officer Kaleb Robinson was the officer injured. The suspect has been identified as Jeremy Maurice Daniels, 29, of Charlotte, and was a convicted felon.
Three officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, per department policy.
The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is the agency in charge of the investigation.
The killing marks the second line-of-duty death in that last week near the Charlotte area.
Last Friday, Mount Holly Officer Tyler Herndon was shot and killed while confronting an armed, breaking and entering suspect.
Officer Herndon was laid to rest in a ceremony Tuesday.
Donations can be made in honor of Officer Jason Shuping and Officer Kaleb Robinson to:
- FOP Lodge 64 PO Box 5302 Concord, NC 28027
- Checks Payable: FOP Lodge 64 (memo line should include designated officers name)
- Venmo: Lodge Sixty-four @NCFOP64
Latest headlines from FOX 46
- Man arrested after trying to enter DC security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials, documents say
- Dancing trucker turns up at inauguration protest to promote peace
- Small numbers of protesters gather at fortified US capitols
- Two teens fatally shoot each other in Louisiana
- Families, activists hold protest demanding Durham Housing Authority fix problems