BURLINGTON, N.C. (WGHP) — Police will search Uwharrie Environment landfill in hopes of finding the remains of a missing woman caught on camera getting into a dumpster but never getting out before the dumpster was serviced.
Burlington police believe the remains of 30-year-old Stephanie Cox, of Burlington, were transferred to Uwharrie Environmental landfill in Montgomery County.
Officers say the processing center is cooperating fully.
A search party will begin looking for the body on Tuesday.
Family tells police that it was not uncommon for Cox to collect items from local dumpsters.
Police say videos show Cox arriving at Five Below alone on Thursday. No one else is seen on the property until the truck arrives to service the dumpster.
In light of this investigation, police are warning that public, “The commonly known practice of ‘dumpster diving’ is not safe.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Chase Bank and Wegmans are hiring
- South Carolina business criticized for banning masks inside store
- Law enforcement officers across NC to join in procession to honor fallen Nash County deputy
- Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree turns on, with virus restrictions
- Florida Sen. Rick Scott promises uphill battle for Biden’s Cabinet picks