RICHLANDS, N.C. (WNCT) – Onslow County Sheriff Hans Miller has issued a statement regarding a swastika found carved in the yard at a Richlands home.
On Wednesday around 4:15 p.m., the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office responded to a residence on Gum Branch Road in Richlands for a report of property damage.
Upon arrival, it was noted that someone carved out a large swastika sign in the grass, apparently with a lawnmower.
Miller has personally reached out to the owner and his neighbors to ensure them that an investigation is being conducted.
“We are taking this incident very seriously. When we learned of the incident, we sent a deputy out to take a report and dispatched detectives shortly thereafter,” Miller said. “We are doing everything possible to determine who did the damage, and why. This kind of behavior is NOT acceptable in our county or our country. We encourage anyone with information to please come forward and let us know.”
Miller is encouraging anyone with additional information to contact the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 22-year-old charged with girlfriend’s murder in West Knoxville shooting
- 1 dead in motorcycle crash along S. Saunders St. near I-40 in Raleigh, police say
- Vendors grateful for opportunity presented by NC State Fair food event
- Triangle law enforcement issuing very few citations as COVID-19 cases continue to increase
- Pregnant ESPN reporter fires back after ‘troll’ tries to body-shame her
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now