SHELBY, N.C. (WBTV) – A Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office deputy made a surprising discovery on December 7 when he pulled over a truck and found millions of dollars hidden inside.
The vehicle had been pulled over on I-85 near Shelby on Saturday after failing to maintain a lane and impeding the flow of traffic.
The driver had been traveling south along the roadway and was directed to move the truck to a safe location for further inspection.
Upon entering the vehicle, the deputy discovered $3 million in cash located in several barrels containing raw pork shoulders.
The Sheriff’s Office reported that they have reason to believe the money may have been headed to the Mexican border and was made through illegal drug sales throughout the region.
This remains an active investigation and the Department of Justice is now assisting in this matter.
Copyright 2019 WBTV. All rights reserved.
- Woman’s obituary: In lieu of flowers ‘do not vote for Trump’
- Giuliani shown in hotel bedroom scene in new ‘Borat’ film
- Fort Bragg Twitter account deleted after hack leads to lewd messages
- Wednesday, October 21st – Spruce up your home for the season, learn how to manage anxiety and stress healthily
- Tackle DIY home projects with these awesome products
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now