WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – A 19-year-old North Carolina man has been charged with murder and child abuse in the death of his 7-month-old son, police confirmed Wednesday.
Christion Vaughn Jones was arrested and booked into jail without bond, Winston-Salem police said.
Authorities initially responded to an apartment the morning of July 4 and found family members performing CPR on the unresponsive boy, police said. The child was pronounced dead at a hospital and autopsy results showed he suffered a torn liver, broken ribs and a damaged intestine, among other internal injuries, according to an arrest warrant obtained by the Winston-Salem Journal.
Authorities did not comment further on the circumstances.
Jones was set to appear in court April 30, news outlets reported. It’s unclear whether he had an attorney who could comment on his behalf.
- Raleigh mayor lifts city-wide curfew set ahead of planned protests
- Original James Bond actor Sean Connery dies at 90
- Durham’s Riverside High School sports teams resume practices
- Man dies after he’s hit by vehicle in Fayetteville, police say
- Raleigh’s ‘Ghost Guild’ sees spike in reports of paranormal activity amid pandemic
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now