RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN)– A fun fact to share during your Thanksgiving dinner: North Carolina is one of the nation’s leaders in both turkeys and sweet potatoes.
According to data from UNC, North Carolina ranks number one in sweet potato production with 61 percent of all sweet potatoes in the U.S. coming from the Tar Heel state.
When it comes to turkeys, North Carolina is number two nationally, proucing more than 32 million in 2018.
Half of all turkeys produced in North Carolina come from three counties: Sampson, Wayne and Union.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- ‘She was so little:’ Mom delivers premature ‘miracle’ baby in car during Texas storm
- Video appears to show tsunami waves arriving in New Zealand
- Person Memorial Hospital to allow more visitors while others in central NC keep strict regulations
- Woman killed after shots were fired into her Dunn home, sheriff’s office says
- Smoking 100 cigarettes in your lifetime gets you into North Carolina’s vaccine Group 4. But why?