SPRUCE PINE, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina wildlife official says a man and his dog were bitten by a black bear that was trying to defend her cub.
State Wildlife Resources Commission officer Jared Thompson told the Asheville Citizen Times a homeowner’s Great Dane got into a fight with the mama bear Saturday in the yard of a Spruce Pine home.
Thompson says the man was bitten on his arm while breaking up the fight. The dog also suffered puncture wounds. Both were treated and released from hospitals Saturday night.
Thompson says wildlife officials took samples of the bear’s blood and fur in the yard. They won’t seek to euthanize it.
Another man helping tree a bear near Mount Sterling on Saturday was bitten and rolled down a slight cliff with that bear.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 4 NC family members die in crash while going to pick up custom wedding band
- What you need to know about bubonic plague, the disease behind ‘Black Death’
- Indiana man says he was threatened with noose, called racial slurs
- NC firefighter hit by car 4 months ago is released from hospital, given escort home
- Fast start to 2020 hurricane season confirms early forecasts of active year
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now