BOLIVIA, N.C. (WECT) – The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office is warning residents of a deputy-related phone scam making the rounds in the county.
The scam typically involves a victim receiving a phone call from the scammer who claims to be a deputy with the local sheriff’s office and says the victim has missed court and must pay a fine.
The scammer spoofs a local phone number so it appears they are calling from the sheriff’s office.
“The Sheriff’s Office will not call to advise anyone they have missed court. We will not call and demand money,” the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office stated in a Facebook post. “Never give personal or financial information to anyone over the phone unless absolutely certain the caller is legitimate.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Humans now being legally composted in Washington
- Aging buildings, COVID to blame for repair delays at Durham public housing units, CEO says
- UNC students face long lines for required COVID-19 tests; 1 party reported to police
- Crash closes part of Western Blvd. in Raleigh near NC State campus
- Driver crashes into police car during domestic call in Raleigh, officials say
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.