JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office said it is investigating the death of a man who was shot with a crossbow on Sunday.
In a news release on Monday, the OCSO said at 4 p.m. Sunday, deputies responded to a report of a person being shot or stabbed at a home at 5363 Richlands Highway.
At the scene, deputies found a 58-year-old male lying in the yard with a stab wound to his side.
Deputies and EMS personnel began CPR, but the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
The victim’s name is being withheld, pending family notification.
Deputies detained and questioned a 20-year-old male at the scene, who admitted he accidentally shot the victim with a crossbow.
That man was later released and is cooperating with the investigation, which is being continued by the OCSO and the Onslow County District Attorney’s Office.
Authorities said additional information will be released in this case as it becomes available.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Fishermen catch 220 pounds of tuna, donate it to health care workers
- NCGA to discuss bills that would allow teens to get driver’s licenses without taking a road test
- Man arrested, charged in connection with murder of teen girl at Raleigh apartment complex
- UNCW announces revised schedule for the fall semester
- NC sheriff fires employee over ‘inappropriate’ social media post about George Floyd protests
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now