CONNELLY SPRINGS, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina man died Sunday when he crashed a dirt bike after jumping 20 feet (6 meters) into the air during a motocross event, authorities confirmed Sunday.
A witness at the scene reported Samuel Ryan Marti, 27, was trying to perform a jump at the Lost Valley Motorsports Park in Connelly Springs when he landed on his front tire and was tossed over the handlebars of the bike, according to documents from the Burke County Sheriff’s Office that were obtained by news outlets.
Marti became unresponsive upon impact and first responders administered CPR, but he couldn’t be saved, the agency said.
Marti was identified as a staff sergeant at Pope Air Force Base in Cumberland County, according to an incident report.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Families of those slain in Durham gather to seek end to gun violence
- Amber Alert canceled: Suspect arrested, 2 girls found safe after 2 boys discovered dead
- No. 3 Notre Dame rides big plays to 45-3 win over Pitt
- Wake Forest upsets No. 19 Virginia Tech 23-16
- Rock star Jon Bon Jovi performs ahead of Biden at rally in Pennsylvania
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now