RALEIGH, N.C. (WJZY) – President Donald Trump said Gov. Roy Cooper is “playing politics” when it comes to reopening the state.
The statement came during an interview with The Washington Examiner.
“We’ll have a convention,” Trump said in an interview about the Republican National Convention that’s scheduled to happen in August in Charlotte. “We have a great state, North Carolina, that’s been very, very good. Although, it’s got a Democrat governor, so we have to be a little bit careful. It’s got a Democrat governor, so we have to be a little bit careful with that because they’re playing politics. They’re playing politics, as you know, by delaying the openings.”
Cooper has said numerous times that he is relying on public health experts and scientists to decide when and how to reopen the state.
According to a Washington Post-Ipsos poll this week, 74% approve of Cooper’s crisis management.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- COVID-19 vaccinations efforts vary by county in NC
- ‘It has been the greatest honor of my life’: First Lady Melania Trump bids farewell in new video
- Moving truck caught on video outside Trump’s estate in Florida as Biden prepares to take office
- What Joe Biden has promised to do on ‘Day One’ and in his first 100 days as president
- Florida police looking for road-raging bikers who beat driver with wrench, helmets