CASHIERS, N.C. (WNCN) – A member of a rescue squad in western North Carolina died Tuesday while helping search for a man who fell from a waterfall, WLOS reported.
Efforts to rescue 24-year-old Chandler Manuel began on Tuesday after Jackson County Emergency Management received a call from Transylvania County. The call had to do with a man who fell into the water at the base of Whitewater Falls in Cashiers.
The rescue crew member — who has not been identified, but is said to be a longtime of the Glenville-Cashiers Rescue Squad — died when he fell from a rope. His body was recovered at the bottom of the falls just before 4:15 p.m. Tuesday, WLOS reported.
The Transylvania Times reported that Manuel also died, but his body has not been found.
The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is looking into the incident.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- President Trump to campaign in Hickory this Sunday, sources say
- Raleigh’s mayor puts 10 p.m. curfew in place ahead of planned protest
- Donald Trump Jr. says COVID deaths have dropped to ‘almost nothing’ on record-breaking day for new cases
- Missouri breeder euthanizes 21 dogs instead of turning them over to inspectors, AG says
- Beloved doctor dies after giving birth, spotlighting risks of pregnancy conditions