GREENVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Searchers have recovered the body of a missing North Carolina firefighter who disappeared in a river while swimming with co-workers.
News outlets report the body of 24-year-old Greenville firefighter Gary Cox was recovered from the Tar River after a search resumed for him on Tuesday.
Authorities say Cox went boating with fellow firefighters on Sunday when they stopped to go swimming and he disappeared.
Greenville Fire/Rescue personnel held a procession through downtown with police officers and firefighters lining the route to pay their respects.
- Love, Bacot lead Tar Heels past Wake Forest
- Three soldiers killed in upstate NY military helicopter crash
- Durham public housing officials to launch hotline to track, speed up maintenance requests
- NC National Guard helps along smooth vaccination clinic in Cumberland County
- Officials call for more federal funding to rebuild aging Durham public housing complexes