CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – A driver is facing charges in a single-vehicle crash that injured six children and three adults on Interstate 485 in west Charlotte Thursday night.
The wreck happened around 11:20 p.m. on I-485 inner near West Boulevard when the driver of an SUV fell asleep and drifted off the right shoulder, troopers say. The vehicle struck an embankment and overturned several times.
Troopers say an 8-month-old involved in the crash was being held by the front seat passenger. A 4-month-old involved was in an unrestrained car seat. Three of the children involved have life-threatening injuries. The other six involved suffered minor to moderate injuries, Medic says. All nine involved were taken to Atrium main.
The driver of the vehicle, identified by troopers as Shantavia Smith Barber, is charged with six counts of failing to restrain a child, failing to wear a seatbelt, careless and reckless driving and driving while license revoked.
Troopers say the children involved ranged from 4 months old to 10 years old. No other vehicles were involved in the crash.
Medic says a total of nine people were injured in the wreck and were all taken to Atrium Main. Three of the people involved suffered serious injuries and the other six suffered minor to moderate injuries, Medic says.
- Mooney, Gibbs lead Notre Dame to 87-71 win over Miami
- 2 bystanders and 3rd person shot when suspect opens fire inside La. restaurant
- Triangle-area police chiefs, chief justice appear on ‘Law & Order’ panel in Durham
- Man hits other man’s backside, walks out on tab next night, Myrtle Beach police say
- Wendell mom dies in Wake County crash on Ten Ten Road, officials say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now