CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Protesters in Charlotte responding to the death of a black man in Minneapolis after a police officer pressed his knee into the man’s neck looted stores, kicked and stomped on police cars and engaged in confrontations that led to multiple arrests.
News outlets report that protests in the city began peacefully Friday evening but turned violent as the night wore on.
A grocery store and a cell phone store were looted, and protesters threw rocks at police, smashed a police bicycle, slashed the tires of a police car.
Officers responded with more than a dozen arrests, including City Council member Braxton Winston, who was charged with failure to disperse.
Three officers suffered minor injuries.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- No injuries after small plane crashes at Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport
- Revisiting Prince Charles’ 1996 trip to The Biltmore
- NC woman describes attack by possible coyote; photos show some of 13 puncture wounds
- Now approved to administer COVID-19 vaccine, NC dentists eager to help fight pandemic
- It’s a girl, Harry and expecting mom Meghan tell Oprah about 2nd child