CAMDEN COUNTY, N.C. (WAVY) — When a box showed up on a Camden County lawn in late January, the person who called it in thought it contained two puppies snuggling in blankets.
But on closer inspection, the Camden deputies who responded discovered these were no puppies — they were bear cubs!
Camden County Sheriff Kevin Jones says the cubs were found on Jan. 28 at the home in the 300-block of North River Road in Camden.
It’s still unclear who left the box, and how the cubs got separated from their mom, but Jones says the cubs were taken to the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro by the North Carolina National Wildlife Resources Commission.
The zoo hasn’t shared any updates on the bears at this time, but we’ll be sure to check in on the cubs to see how they’re doing.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Police use pepper spray, arrest 8 demonstrators at Graham voting rally
- Possible abduction reported in Fayetteville after teen girl seen forced into car, police say
- NC family shaken after being robbed at gunpoint at home; teens charged in crime spree
- Pence to visit NC Sunday for worship service with Franklin Graham
- Record-setting early voting period ends in NC
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now