BRYSON CITY, N.C. (WSPA) – Swain County Sheriff’s Office officials said a teen was killed and his brother was injured in a fire that destroyed multiple campers Sunday night.
Deputies said a camper fire was reported at about 11 p.m. at the Ela Campground.
The fire spread to nine campers, according to the sheriff’s office. Seven of the campers were totally destroyed.
Officers said Blake Lantz, 15, was killed in the fire.
His brother was injured in the fire, but he was able to escape. He is expected to make a full recovery, deputies said.
Blake was a sophomore at Swain High School, according to Swain County School District officials.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.
The sheriff’s office and the NCSBI will continue to investigate.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham County sheriff’s ‘ghost’ cruiser causes controversy
- Hurricanes score 3 in 3rd period to beat Nashville, 4-2
- Working against the clock, Triangle hospitals make sure COVID-19 vaccines aren’t wasted
- Biden won’t end COVID-19 pandemic travel restrictions
- Gray’s 17 points lead Florida State past Louisville 78-65