MOORESVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Sen. Thom Tillis (R) declared victory over Cal Cunningham (D) Tuesday night as votes continued to be counted in North Carolina.
“What we accomplished tonight was a stunning victory,” Tillis said.
The incumbent senator said he was waiting to hear from Cunningham before speaking to his supporters but decided he needed to address the race.
Tillis said his victory came against all the odds. Polls had the senator down against Cunningham but the race was shaken by news of infidelity by Cunningham.
Cunningham was scheduled to speak at Democratic Party Headquarters in Raleigh but around midnight, it was announced he would not deliver any remarks.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine low temperature requirement poses challenges
- NC man fired for forgetting doctor’s note after negative COVID-19 test
- Venezuela judge convicts 6 American oil execs, orders prison
- Nash County deputy seriously injured in crash in Rocky Mount, police say
- Woman says mother died following horrific neglect at Charlotte nursing home