CURRITUCK, N.C. (WAVY) — A Currituck County family spending time in their backyard Saturday saw what appeared to be a funnel cloud.
The ominous vertical, rotating cloud can be seen just beyond trees near the sound in Currituck, according to Andy Musto who captured the video.
In the video, Musto says the cloud appears to be moving away from them, however, concern can be heard among others during the video.
WAVY-TV Meteorologist Jeff Edmondson used a radar analysis of the thunderstorm that produced this apparent funnel cloud to explain what happened. Edmondson says the weather event could have been a water spout.
At the time, there was some upper-level rotation within the cloud. Mammatus clouds also developed in southeast Virginia at the same time, Edmondson said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Deputies respond to home of fan screaming ‘shoot!’ while watching Stanley Cup Finals
- Murder parolee blows up room at Colorado hotel, gets shot by police, authorities say
- Virginia governor, first lady test positive for COVID-19
- Virginia school officials confirm incident involving sexual images during online class
- Arrest made after park ranger run over at Hanging Rock State Park