KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (WGHP) — A father was arrested and charged with simple assault after he rushed and tackled a high school student-athlete during a wrestling match, according to a Kannapolis Police Department news release.
Barry Lee Jones, of Harrisburg, was arrested on Saturday at 415 East 1st St.
He is charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct.
The student-athlete he tackled was from Southeast Guilford High School and was wrestling Jones’ son, who is a student from Hickory Ridge High School, the release says.
Jones was processed at the Cabarrus County Jail and received a $1,000 secured bond.
The SGHS student-athlete was reportedly not injured.
The expert on the mat at the time of the incident gave the hand signals to call the SGHS student-athlete’s move as illegal, according to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Monday, November 23rd: Affordable gift ideas, superfoods nutrition that will boost your immune system
- Gov. Cooper announces stricter mask mandate as COVID-19 continues to spread
- Tennessee mayor waits on Holy Spirit’s guidance before ordering mask mandate
- Man leaves $3,000 tip for a single beer as Cleveland restaurant closes for virus
- NC State lands 4 on ACC’s Players of the Week list after upset of No. 21 Liberty