JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) There was a Smackdown at Marine Corps Air Station New River on Friday as superstars from World Wrestling Entertainment came for one reason —- to tell servicemen and women “thank you.”
WWE visited MCAS New River for the 2019 WWE Tribute to the Troops show.
For 17 years, WWE has presented WWE Tribute to the Troops, an annual holiday event taking place at different military bases around the world.
This year, for the first time ever, they focused on the Marine Corps.
“I’ve always wanted to be a part of the tribute to the troops, I never thought they would come to a base that I’m at, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity,” one Marine in the audience said. “I’m super pumped, this is just awesome.”
From body slams to sharpshooters, WWE Superstar Natalya said the event was the ultimate Christmas present for them and the troops.
“To be able to give back and perform for the Marines, is more fulfilling than I can put into words, because we know we’re bringing excitement, entertainment to what can be an everyday routine,” Natalya said.
WWE says to look for highlights from Friday’s event in the future on WWE TV.
Also, there are other WWE Superstars on base — at New River and Camp Lejuene where they are working on different military outreach projects.
- 2,643 new COVID-19 cases reported Saturday, numbers continue to decline
- 3 dead after Florida-bound plane crashes in Georgia
- ‘I felt terrified;’ S.C. man recounts incident that resulted in deputy’s firing and misconduct charges
- S.C. teacher receives award after helping student call 911 over unresponsive mom
- Tips from a pro photographer on how to get the ultimate Instagram-worthy shot