FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A 10-month-old girl is in critical condition after she was shot in the head early Sunday morning, police said.
The baby, Fayth Percy, underwent surgery to remove bullet fragments from her head, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said at a news conference Sunday. She is in critical but stable condition.
The suspect, Marco Antonio Echartea, was arrested on suspicion of three counts of attempted murder, The Fresno Bee reported. He was also wanted for a shooting in May. It was not immediately clear if he had an attorney.
The child’s 18-year-old mother had gone into a home with Fayth early Sunday morning, where she encountered Echartea and resisted his advances, police said. The mother and a male friend left the home and drove away when Echartea, 23, began shooting, police said.
“At some point when he got close, he pulled out a handgun and fired three rounds into the driver’s side window, which was up,” Dyer said. “One of those rounds struck baby Fayth on the side of the head as she was being held by her mother,” Dyer said.
- Karen forms near Caribbean, still watching Jerry and soon-to-be Lorenzo
- GM adds 2 model years to recall involving welds in small SUVs
- NC fugitive who tricked 4 bondsmen is caught after 8-hour standoff
- Residents excited as 1st grocery store opens in downtown Raleigh
- Thomas’ TD return helps NC State beat Ball State 34-23
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now