RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – President Donald Trump has endorsed North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis, handing a significant political asset to the first-term Republican senator seeking reelection next year in the closely divided state.
Trump tweeted late Tuesday his “Full and Total Endorsement” to Tillis as he already faces a primary challenger. Garland Tucker has made Tillis’ initial opposition to Trump’s emergency declaration for a U.S.-Mexico border wall a campaign issue. Tillis later reversed himself and supported the declaration.
Trump praised Tillis for being someone who is “Strong on the Border and fights hard against Illegal Immigration.”
Democrats also are lining up to take on Tillis, including three current or former state legislators and a county commissioner.
North Carolina is a key presidential battleground state, too. Trump won there in 2016 by nearly 4 percentage points.
Here is the full text of Trump’s tweet:
“Senator Thom Tillis of North Carolina has really stepped up to the plate. Thom is tough on Crime, Strong on the Border and fights hard against Illegal Immigration. He loves our Military, our Vets and our great Second Amendment. I give Thom my Full and Total Endorsement!”
- Mom warns of dangers of open-air carbon monoxide poisoning after son dies after a day on the lake
- 100+ firefighters extinguish large fire at former school in Wendell
- Durham man busted with ‘Gray Death’ drugs after 120 mph chase on I-95, Nash County sheriff says
- 1 dead in 2-vehicle crash in Durham, police say
- Mom fights off masked attacker who grabbed her, toddler outside California home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now