PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A driver was assaulted by protesters after crashing his truck in Portland during the 80th consecutive night of demonstrations in the city.
Shortly before 10:30 p.m., a pickup truck was found on the sidewalk as officers surrounded the area. Police said protesters were chasing the truck before it crashed, and they assaulted the driver afterward.
The driver suffered serious injuries and was rushed to a hospital. Video circulating on social media shows people kicking and hitting the man while he was on the ground.
Witnesses told KOIN the driver of the truck was attempting to run protesters over. In one of the clips posted online, the driver tells the protesters, ““I was trying to get out the way.”
Police are investigating the incident further.
Despite the assault, no arrests were made overnight.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Travelers at RDU speak out as face masks now required at airports, on planes
- Serial sex offender arrested in Asheville kidnappings, sexual assaults, police say
- FBI: 33 missing children, including some who were sexually exploited, found in California operation
- 1 killed after Las Vegas-based bus rolls over near Grand Canyon, 44 transported to medical center
- Wake County leaders address COVID-19 vaccine rollout during town hall